Thursday, February 26, 2009

Magnolia blooms

Sipping up my morning coffee, I walked to our living room. Cuckoo clock struck once, it is 30 minutes past 6. Another day in the making… Opened the blinds and glanced at our backyard and there, it caught me. Our Magnolia is in full bloom !!  Our visits to the backyard has been almost nil as the weather has been lousy for the past couple of weeks.

Our Magnolia Magnolia's in our backyard

The magnolia in bloom took me back a few years down the lane. Two years back we moved to our own home.  We were thrilled, wanted to do so many things to our home, but one look at our bank accounts and we are back to tightfisted. Finally “Treasury Secretary” (I guess, by now, you know who) approved the budget. I started racking my brains for landscaping ideas. We decided to start with our current flora and determine which to retain and which not to. We noticed the lone tree on one corner of the yard. It looked pretty unassuming, no flowers , no fruits, just a mass of leaves, which looked quite ordinary. We were so bend on cleaning it up and planting something “pretty” there, but somehow ruled against it.

Months later, here comes our first spring in our new home an Lo and behold! the lone, unassuming tree has transformed  into a ravishing beauty, A magnolia in full bloom!!

Took another sip of the coffee. I felt my spirits rise. Magnolia blooms were dancing in the wind, I felt they are whispering to me a secret, a lesson for me, to give a chance for each and everyone, no matter what. I felt, hope for a new tomorrow, a better tomorrow. Cuckoo clock struck again..Oh my , it’s 7 am..Duty beckons…

3 comments:

UL said...

Very nicely said, Vrinda. It reminds me of the pear in our backyard, that blooms only in spring, similar thought lines flowed in my head when I heard about your magnolia. Lovely.

UL said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
anamika said...

Nice post!A chance for everyone and hope for tomorrow!