Saturday, February 21, 2009

A birthday note…

I do have changed a lot over the years. Wiser with age? Nah..  The major change, I would say, is that life has taught me to appreciate things which I have, and be thankful for it.

If I had the chance to go back now, I would do at least a few things in a different way.

A nostalgic picture of amma & me Indian culture is quite different from the western ways. I never recall me write a thank you note, or say thank you to my father or mother. I considered it to be too artificial. These days , when M gives me a happy valentine’s day card, I feel happy. May be, I should have done the same too, as a kid. Forget about the thank you card, I did not even help my mom in the kitchen. I recall that, once in a while, my mom asked me to do some odd jobs in the kitchen and I used to be so reluctant to do it. Now, me, as a working mom, I realize how difficult it would have been for my mom those days. I regret not helping her those days.

Here I am , miles away from my parents, and it is my mom’s birthday tomorrow. Dear achan and amme, I pray to God for your happiness and health. Whatever I am today , is because of you both, dearest achakuttan and ammakutty.

2 comments:

anamika said...

Very cute post! Agree with you about how much expression of love was not in our culture! I did do my bit for my Appa (some cards etc) - that itself was too much from where they come, but point taken!

UL said...

Very nicely written - we realize the value of moms as we age and become moms ourselves - lovely picture of mom and daughter...came here from Anamika's site, caught up on most of your posts here...esp. liked the one on M and A, and your reflection on relationships...I truly agree.