Friday, September 14, 2007

I am the richest of the richest ...

This week was a busy one. It was work, home, G & M, work and home again.One evening, we had gone out to re-stock M's fruit supply.(M loves fruits which tastes sour :) ). Reached safeway, and saw a street singer performing.Isn't it a little too late for a song?, I thought. It was kind of dark. There was no one listening to him. He was all alone, playing his guitar and humming along.

May be, he was in dire necessity. G & M walked towards him to listen to his song. I walked towards Safeway, thinking I can finish off with my bit, real quick.I did catch a glimpse of the singer as I walked past him. An ordinary man, in his early 40's. Faded jeans and shirt and a cap, partially covering his head. One thing which struck me was his face, he looked so contended, serene, and as though he had no worries. I wondered. How can he be so happy? Doesn't he have any dreams, dreams of a better tomorrow? I guess ,he like his todays better. Thought, I will talk to G about him, later. G and I often have discussions about success in life. Most times,I end up feeling I am greedy to think, I need more, more of everything, money, fame, name etc. G has an absolutely different view of it, he is of the "Reach for the stars.." genre. I have had these discussions with Achan too. Achan's view is somewhat that of mine, he has a different angle to it though. He reminds me to never forget the past, when we race forward, whether we win the race or fail it. I wonder what the street singer's view is?

I reached the fruits aisle. Picked up M's raspberries and black berries. G&M walked in and G mentioned to me street singer's comments about M: "You have a fine man here!!". I smiled...

Having said all this, I must open up here. These days , I have become wary about riches and money. I was never like that. These days, I feel why don't I get things easy, why don't I make money the easy way? I feel, I always have to work real hard to get things and I feel, I never was lucky. I know , many of you will disagree to what I said.Yeah, I think you are correct. I am indeed lucky and..about riches.., wait a minute, an inner voice stopped me, think about all the loved ones you have, all your near and dear ones.There is nothing in comparison to their love. Yes,I am the richest of the richest...

2 comments:

Didymus said...

Great piece... fully agree with your conclusion. Health, Family, Love... rest are far away from these 3.

Anonymous said...

hichechi, i liked ur writing, but i do disagree with u , i think u r really lucky . how many people gets 2 have a inter-religion marriage with the consent of both the families?