Saturday, September 8, 2007

Loss of an acquaintance

It is a cloudy day today. A relief from the scorching heat of the past few weeks. G and M are taking their afternoon nap. Planted a soft kiss on M's forehead, tucked him in, and here I am sitting down to pen something down.

The current neighbourhood we are in is a placid one. All I can hear now, is the rhythmic sound of our cuckoo clock. I am gazing at the needles of the clock. It is relentlessly moving. Slowly, one day, it will come to a stop. Life is like that too.

Brings to my mind, the smiling face of Wilson, my co-worker. He lost his battle to cancer last week. I was not a close friend of Wilson. I used to bump into him many times in the corridor and used to pass on casual greetings. He was an excellent engineer as per many of his team mates. I came to know of his demise last week from an official email send out to employees. He was a very young chap, in his late 20's. ( By the way, my perception of age has changed drastically in the past year. Late 20's, now, is very young for me.Signs of aging, huh?) I was dismayed when I read the mail. A numb feeling crept through my body..sat there for a while, blinking at the monitor.Why God??Why??, for a moment I thought. Gathered myself up after a while, self-comforting that HE knows what is best, after all, HE is the only one who knows the big picture. The official mail mentioned that his younger brother(Paul) was working in our office and about a condolence card kept in Wilson's old cube for whomever wanted to sign. I knew Paul well, noted to myself that I should write a mail to Paul later.Walked down the stairs,to 4Th floor, to Wilson's cube. I saw a notebook left open, a half drunk coffee cup and screen saver on the monitor. Gazed at the screen saver once more, the picture was of a setting sun. It had an unusual melancholic strain to it.Was it my feeling...Or, did he know that his sun rises were numbered... My dear friend, are you watching me from high above with a gleeful smile...

Did not feel like jotting down anything on the card, not sure why.
Headed straight back to my cube, wrote a condolence mail to Paul..Yes, I must move on now...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You could have written something in that book too.Even early 30 is too young...who told its not????